Urch Forums

2021 Sweat Thread

tm_member

I thought the deadline was 5pm EST on Thursday, the 15th? So the reasonable thing to do if you're sitting on the waitlist at a school you prefer, is to wait until maybe a few hours before the deadline and then submit the official acceptance form to your standing offer if you do not hear anything from your waitlist school. If the waitlist school does admit a little after the deadline which seems relatively unlikely, it is usually doable (and reasonable) to renege. Does this sound right?

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the deadline was 5pm EST on Thursday, the 15th? So the reasonable thing to do if you're sitting on the waitlist at a school you prefer, is to wait until maybe a few hours before the deadline and then submit the official acceptance form to your standing offer if you do not hear anything from your waitlist school. If the waitlist school does admit a little after the deadline which seems relatively unlikely, it is usually doable (and reasonable) to renege. Does this sound right?

Maybe I’m a bit too paranoid but I wouldn’t wait till the last few hours because to accept the offer (at least at the school I’ve been accepted to), I have to print out the letter, sign it, scan it and send it by email. Ideally I’d like to get an acknowledgment email from the school before the deadline

Maybe I’m a bit too paranoid but I wouldn’t wait till the last few hours because to accept the offer (at least at the school I’ve been accepted to), I have to print out the letter, sign it, scan it and send it by email. Ideally I’d like to get an acknowledgment email from the school before the deadline

This is probably a dumb question, but do all schools have an offer you sign? The school I accepted only specified to accept through the portal which I've already done, but the offer letter had no part that I had to sign. I e-mailed the graduate advisor yesterday but she hasn't replied.

I'm weirdly worried about it since other schools I was accepted to had letters (some of which I signed and returned to indicate I was declining the offer). Should I reach out to the advisor again?

This is probably a dumb question, but do all schools have an offer you sign? The school I accepted only specified to accept through the portal which I've already done, but the offer letter had no part that I had to sign. I e-mailed the graduate advisor yesterday but she hasn't replied.

I'm weirdly worried about it since other schools I was accepted to had letters (some of which I signed and returned to indicate I was declining the offer). Should I reach out to the advisor again?

There is no need to panic. They want you just as much as you want them.

I'm also curious if in the results thread people can post whether their program was affected by COVID. I'm wondering overall how much smaller our cohort (across all programs) is going to be this year.

It actually surprises me that some of the public schools like Wisconsin or UCSD are actually targeting a similar class size(25-30 for Wisc, 20+ for SD?), and some of the top private schools are cutting spots.

It actually surprises me that some of the public schools like Wisconsin or UCSD are actually targeting a similar class size(25-30 for Wisc, 20+ for SD?), and some of the top private schools are cutting spots.

It’s about teaching- those schools rely on grad TA’s to perform a lot of teaching duties and they’re cheaper to hire than adjuncts. At private schools, generally faculty are expected to teach even intro classes so with the hit to funding due to covid, there’s not as much budget or need for grad students.

I don't think so. The resolution is actually fairly narrow: "students are under no obligation to respond to offers of financial support before April 15."

• If an offer of financial support is made prior to April 15, applicants have until April 15 to accept it and the program should honor that commitment through April 15. Extension of this deadline beyond April 15 is up to the individual program or institution.
  • Programs and/or institutions are free to make offers of admission and of financial support after April 15 if they choose to do so. They may set any deadline for acceptance of the offer, as long as the deadline is after April 15.
  • Programs and/or institutions may choose to offer conditional admission and offers of financial support to students with incomplete applications (e.g. lacking test scores) or to wait until all requirements can be satisfie

April 15 Resolution | Council of Graduate Schools

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have any information regarding Tilburg admissions for the CentER Research Master in Economics?

They wrote that the decision should be after 6 weeks after the deadline, which was 1/02/2021.

I asked them on 6/04/2021 and they replied that the decision will be within 2 weeks. Then again I wrote to them on 22/04/2021 and did not receive any answer.

I am getting a little bit worried. I have already been accepted elsewhere and I am waiting for Tilburg reply as it is my preferred choice.

• Erin featured this topic
  • Erin unpinned this topic