Urch Forums

2019 Admission Sweat Thread

tm_member

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe it doesn't matter in 98% of cases as long as you submit before the deadline, that is unless a school has rolling admissions.

hey i have a question regarding rolling admissions. For instance for UVA, the deadline was Jan 15th but the website also said 'offers are made on a rolling basis' so does that mean if you submit it early you have a higher chance of getting in? I only submitted it 2 days earlier than the deadline :/

Congrats to everyone who got into U Chicago!! I got my first result yesterday, a funded offer, not to one of my top choices but all the same it's taken a tremendous amount of stress off to know I have at least one option in the bank.

I want to echo an earlier poster: although this is kind of impossible advice, try and take care of yourself. Go to the gym, to the movies, hang out with friends, throw yourself into research and work... I've been hitting the batting cage to get some tension out, lol. It's gonna be a long month and a half, but everyone's gonna get through it :)

hey i have a question regarding rolling admissions. For instance for UVA, the deadline was Jan 15th but the website also said 'offers are made on a rolling basis' so does that mean if you submit it early you have a higher chance of getting in? I only submitted it 2 days earlier than the deadline :/

Generally, yes, that's how rolling admissions work. The earlier you apply, the more available spots there still are. However, being an applicant myself, I have little authority to give a definitive answer about a particular program. Also, I think your qualities as a candidate would matter more than the submission date. If someone with a profile similar to yours applied earlier and was admitted, I imagine they wouldn't reject you and would at least put you on the waitlist.

Congrats to everyone who got into U Chicago!! I got my first result yesterday, a funded offer, not to one of my top choices but all the same it's taken a tremendous amount of stress off to know I have at least one option in the bank.

I want to echo an earlier poster: although this is kind of impossible advice, try and take care of yourself. Go to the gym, to the movies, hang out with friends, throw yourself into research and work... I've been hitting the batting cage to get some tension out, lol. It's gonna be a long month and a half, but everyone's gonna get through it :)

Great advice. Congratulations on your first offer.

Generally, yes, that's how rolling admissions work. The earlier you apply, the more available spots there still are. However, being an applicant myself, I have little authority to give a definitive answer about a particular program. Also, I think your qualities as a candidate would matter more than the submission date. If someone with a profile similar to yours applied earlier and was admitted, I imagine they wouldn't reject you and would at least put you on the waitlist.

hmm, but the website says they start reviewing application in Feb..what's the point of a deadline if its rolling admissions? It's confusingg

hmm, but the website says they start reviewing application in Feb..what's the point of a deadline if its rolling admissions? It's confusingg

The UVA website states "The Admissions Committee begins reviewing applications in early February and offers are made on a rolling basis between late February and mid-April. Admitted students are invited to campus for an open house in March." I believe they are trying to say they will fill slots with new offers as necessary, as opposed to making all offers in one go. With this in mind, I believe that all applications submitted before the deadline will be treated equally.

The most recent posting on GradCafe is someone who emailed Larry White at NYU asking about their admission outcome, who responded with an informal offer. Presumably it's not really good form for everybody who applied to take that approach, because it quickly becomes unsustainable for the professor. At the same time, obviously everyone is anxious to know as soon as possible. Is there some accepted etiquette for this sort of thing?

The most recent posting on GradCafe is someone who emailed Larry White at NYU asking about their admission outcome, who responded with an informal offer. Presumably it's not really good form for everybody who applied to take that approach, because it quickly becomes unsustainable for the professor. At the same time, obviously everyone is anxious to know as soon as possible. Is there some accepted etiquette for this sort of thing?

I'm wondering the same!! From last year it looks like NYU and NYU Stern decisions came out later... This is stressful. :eek:

I'm wondering the same!! From last year it looks like NYU and NYU Stern decisions came out later... This is stressful. :eek:
it looks strange that if you email a professor, and he makes you a favour, later you go and put his name in gradcafe. I think that it is a troll looking for some disturbance to that Prof

When did NYU and Stern decisions come out last year?

I see a bunch of acceptances at the very end of Feb 2018.

For the record, if you put "Economics|NYU" in the results search box, it will show only results for Econ programs at NYU, which makes it fairly easy to find results for specific schools from past years =)

Hi, since Professor Larry White is in charge of STERN, is it still possible to email him about the result of GSAS?

No I didn’t, but he did tell me that it was with full funding and the visit day is on April 5. I’m ecstatic!

Also got the phone call from Chicago yesterday. Has either of you got the email? I haven't received it yet...

Hi, since Professor Larry White is in charge of STERN, is it still possible to email him about the result of GSAS?

I would hold off. Given the lack of other results, it's impossible to know if it's even a genuine result. And if it were, I would imagine Professor White would prefer not to have the entire application cohort emailing him to ask about their own results. We'll all get our results eventually, won't change their decision!

Edited by cdreier

I would hold off. Given the lack of other results, it's impossible to know if it's even a genuine result, And if it were, I would imagine Professor White would prefer not to have the entire application cohort emailing him to ask about their own results. We'll all get our results eventually, won't change their decision!

Yes, that’s why I am suspicious about that result.