Urch Forums

Practice Tests vs. Real GMAT

Erin

Yes. Here are some tables which show the asymmetrical raw score-to-percentile rankings for verbal and quantitative: The GMAT Scoring Scale

The GMAT is taken by a lot of people outside America. They may not be great at the verbal section but, damn, can they do math!

I'm outside America, myself. I've never as much as set foot on North American soil. I was scoring higher on the Quant during the practice tests though, which was why I was a bit surprised.

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GMATPrep1: 560 (38Q, 29V) 2/15/2008 (rushed verbal for tutoring lesson; 30 mins remaining)

OnlnKapCat: 580 (36Q, 36V) 2/16/2008

GMATPrep1: 620 (36Q, 38V) 2/19/2008 (retake; concentrated on verbal)

GMATPrep2: 620 (40Q, 35v) 2/29/2008 Day before exam

GMAT Score: 580 (31Q, 40V)

Math was way harder than the GMATPrep. I'm a little disappointed. Oh well.

My exam is 3/01/08 at 8am. I'm hoping 600+, I'll update tomorrow after the test.

Everyone here is talking about their practise exam scores, can someone tell me how I can get access to those tests?

Of course I know the 2 you can get at mba.com, but I cant find the rest.

Can anyone help?

I only got those two off the internet. I did a further 3 from Kaplan, which were off the CD-ROM that came with the text book (there are 4 in total, but I didn't trouble myself with doing the last one). Kaplan's tests were a bit tougher and I think the scoring algorithm isn't particularly sound, the GMATPrep ones are considerably more reflective of the questions you get. There's another software called PowerPrep, which is free, I think; I didn't really bother with it, because I didn't have the time to do any more tests. You might want to try a google search for PowerPrep - I think it's a GMAC software as well.

I am posting here because I felt better when I read some of the other threads, especially about differences in Kaplan's scores and the score people got on the real deal. I think Kaplan has questions that are a bit harder and they give you a lower score overall, or they grade tougher than GMAC does, not sure. But anyway, I tried the tests I got with my Kaplan book, and also the official practice tests from GMAC.

Kaplan 1 Q38 V30 550

Kaplan 2 Q41 V30 560

Kaplan 3 Q48 V35 640

Kaplan Paper Test Q49 V46 690

Kaplan Online Q43 V40 660

GMAC Test Q49 V36 700

Kaplan 4 Q32 V35 560

GMAT Q48 V37 690

I couldn't get the timing right, so I had to guess my last 5-6 math questions...

Good luck to everyone else taking the test..

From what I see here the Kaplan practice tests are far more demanding. That's a relief. I am fast tracking my GMAT because I just learned about a good MBA school with a VERY fast approaching application deadline. It's been literally 6 days since I decided to apply, and I have to write my GMAT tomorrow. Eeek.

After perusing the book for 5 days I did a practice test yesterday and scored 530. Tonight I did another and scored 550. I am in a tired state though, as I work full time, and I'm only doing this in the evenings. I definitely feel rushed! I'll do one more practice test tomorrow, get a good sleep, and then do the real thing the day after (a saturday - I'll be rested).

I'd be pretty unsatisfied with anything less than about 620, but I'd like to get over 650. I think that's substantial enough given 1 week of prep.

Would you guys recommend another Kaplan test or something different?

I'm going to do a full debrief sometime late next week, but here are my practice test scores at least. I found this thread extremely helpful in building my confidence in the face of some mediocre 3rd party test scores so I figured that I would contribute. Now that I am done, I do firmly believe that most 3rd party tests are designed to produce lower scores than the actual tests. Hence, the 'guarantees' from test prep companies that they can improve your score. Use these tests as practice for pacing yourself but don't give too much credit to their score reports.

Listed in the order that they were attempted:

GMATPrep 1: 730 (Q48 V42)

Kaplan "Diagnostic": 680

PR Free Online: 640 (Q39 V40)

Manhattan Free Online: 720

GMATPrep 2: 740 (Q47 V44)

Actual GMAT: 760 (Q48 V46)

Interestingly, I spent most of my time trying to improve my Q, but ultimately it was an exceptionally strong V that carried the score.

Just one question:

How is it possible that so many people here score 720+?

From what I know, only schools like harvard require such a high score, so is everyone here harvard-material?

Im trying to improve my score from like 550 now to about 650, but it feels like the average test taker here scores a lot more ...

Hows that possible?

People with lower scores probably don't look for forums to post them on.

Well, I had one week to study and now the test is done. After a rushed week, with Kaplan scores of 530 & 550, I wrote the real test on saturday and scored 630. I'm fairly pleased with that considering the minimal prep time!

Good luck everyone.

hello,

i'm in the midst of preparing my gmat and i don't think its going too well.. :(

The last time i scored a 550 on PR and 540 on Kaplan Q35 V 26. Kaplan's test supposed to be harder isn't it? Both my scores are quite close and I don't really know which one to "believe" in. Any idea?

Thanks

hello,

i'm in the midst of preparing my gmat and i don't think its going too well.. :(

The last time i scored a 550 on PR and 540 on Kaplan Q35 V 26. Kaplan's test supposed to be harder isn't it? Both my scores are quite close and I don't really know which one to "believe" in. Any idea?

Thanks

Don't assume any score other than GMAT Prep to represent your expected score.

hi

i am going to appear for my GMAT on the 10 april. i had given the Gmat Prep test about a month ago, now that i have completed all questions from the OG 11 and Verbal and Quant review, will giving the GMAT PREP again give a true picture of my tentative scores .my last scores on MGMAT were-

710 Q 46 V 41

680 Q 44 V 38

i am aiming for a score over 700 . please guide me about how close are these score to the real exam. and should i go for Gmat Prep again.

• 1 month later...

What a significant jump from your first batch of scores to your second batch of scores. To what do you attribute the gain? Did you employ any special strategies?

Recent:

Actaul: N/A

Test 37: 740

Test 48: 710

Test: 42: 730

Test 52: 710

Test: 25: 740

800score Test #3: 720

Past scores:

Actual: 640

800score: 590

Princeton: 690, 670,710, 710

Kaplan: 550, 560, 620, 540

ETS Test #55: 660

I took GMAT about 5 years ago - Computer Adaptive test in Detroit.

Obtained 640.

Now, I am planning on taking GMAT again.

Took 2 Diagnostic tests recently from Official GMAT people (mba.com).

In the 2 tests I got 720 and 710.

I do not thing my skill set has changed any. How come I am getting up to 80 points more.

Are diagnostic tests easier than the actual tests?

I did take 1 hour break between the Verbal section and the Quantitative section. In the real test only 5 minutes break is allowed.

I am wondering, if the grading scales have changed?

Does 720 now mean the same as the 720 from 5 years ago?

Just wondering

Your response is highly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
Real GMAT 760 Q49 V46

Prep scores (in chronological order):

Kaplan Diag.    630    Q39    V39    
PowerPrep CAT1    750    Q47    V47    (before touching OG)
Kaplan CAT1    640    Q38    V38    
Kaplan CAT2    650    Q37    V40    
Kaplan CAT3    640    Q36    V40    
PowerPrep CAT2    770    Q50    V47    (after OG)

I am wondering if you could impart one tip that you distilled throughout your study process that might account for your improvement over the course of your study.

Actual GMAT: 680 (Q: 47, V: 36), 640 (Q: 49, V: 29)

-PowerPrep: 640, 700

-Manhatten: 670, 700, 710

Can anyone tell me how accurate the Manhatten exams are in comparison to the actual GMAT? I seem to get more number of questions wrong on the Manhatten, but still manage to receive higher scores..how is this possible?