Urch Forums

Practice Tests vs. Real GMAT

Erin

Hi Shereen.

Been low on finances so took a friend's advice and I bought the Kaplan 800 and OG11. i did those and then also did the Manhattan GMAT SC guide. Also I did the verbal section from OG10(i had a softcopy). I gave the GMATPrep 1 exam yesterday. I got 710 but here is the concern :

1. In Quant I could answer only 31 questions, so 6 unanswered, got 16 right 15 wrong.

2. In verbal , i answered all, got 41 right and 2 wrong but I must admit , some questions I had seen earlier so that helped save on time.

Quant I believe needs real practise here.

Kindly advise.

-Thanks,

Girish

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PowerPrep 1 - 770 (51M, 41V) (CRs were repeated)

PowerPrep 2 - 740 (51M, 38V) (CRs were repeated). Score declined, because the day was one of my worst days.

First Attempt

GMATPrep 1 - 730 (50M, 37V) (CRs were repeated). Couldn't complete the paper. Did only first 37 questions. Left other 4. I wanted to see the penalty that GMAC charges for leaving the question(s).

GMATPrep 2 - 680 (50M, 32V) - It was my worst day. I was not feeling well. Headache was not allowing me to focus on the exam.

Second Attempt

GMATPrep 1 - 730 (51M, 38V) - Couldn't understand the reason for the Score 730, though combined score in GMATPrep was 87, which is less than the combined score in the second attempt.

GMATPrep 2 - 690 (49M, 34V) - Again, this was a bad day for me. I was unable to concentrate, because of heavy disturbances just outside my house. But I was, somehow, happy with the score, because I knew that on the D-Day, I will score a 700+.

Real GMAT: 610 (48M, 26V) - A Shock!!

I found Real GMAT English lot tougher than GMATPrep. SCs were horrible. My debrief is at:

http://www.www.urch.com/forums/just-finished-my-gmat/106418-610-48m-26v-second-attempt-need-help-guys.html

Please see if you guys can suggest something.

maverick, have you done the OG 11 prior to the GMAT PREP and POWERPREP?

As you know questions are repeated; if you are good on the OG Q's then naturally you'll get a 700+ score in Preps; I believe that for a person who has completed OG, the PREP scores cannot be considered a good benchmark; UNLESS you score a 760+ conistently (in prep)

Having said that there are several gems in the prep software q's and I suggest you fo thru dedicated GMAT PREp forums/questions and exhaust them.

Maybe you made some errors in the test itself which you may not repeat again.. but to judge that why don't you give some tough prep tests like Kaplan and Manhattan? If you get a 650 in Kaplan or a 700+ in Manhatan you are good to go!

Hi iyermama,

I have done the studying part and need to practice now. I only have the GMATPrep 1 and GMAT Prep 2 as practice tests so far (appeared for GMATPrep 1 ) and the study has been from OG10,OG11 and Kaplan 800.

You think I should purchase MGMAT tests. You mentioned 40$. How many tests you get for 40$ and do you recommend a book as well or just the tests. Also do they have review explanations for all answers.

(Some one mentioned on Testmagic that if you buy a book you get all CATs free.)

Kindly advise.

p.s. one last thing, if you are aware of any other tests which I can download for free, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks and Regards,

Girish Malik

Kindly advise what you recommend I do

Real GMAT: 690 (Q48, V36)

Kaplan CAT 1: 550

Kaplan CAT 2: 580

Kaplan CAT 3: 590

kaplan free online test 650 (week before real gmat)

princeton online cat 1:690

princeton online cat 2:650

princeton online cat 3:620

princeton online cat 4:680

Gmat Prep 1:650

Gmat Prep 2:680

I guess I did not veer too much in my real GMAT from my practice tests... Though i thought a 700 would have been more holding...

Thanks for the response.

I must agree, the memorization does happen with me as well in cases.

The thing is that I did nto know we should be taking it 2 weeks prior to test . I took a GMATPrep 1 test 2 weeks back and got 710 , i fared badly on quant and was unable to even answer the last 6 questions.

So what do i do now. I have not been able to muster the courage to schedule a date as yet .

Hi st,

I happened to have downloaded princeton tests from somewhere. It shows GMAT 1,2,3,4 in the Practise Tests. But when i start the test it asks me for the first work of the Acknowledgement Sections of the book. I do not have the book as yet(i placed a request in the Library and shoudl get it soon), just wonderign these are the same as the ones you mentioned or different.

Many thanks.

p.s. Also I have the Powerprep tetss downloaded, any thoughts about Powerprep.

-Girish.

Sorry if this question's been asked already; I was also wondering about practice tests. I have 3 more days of prep until my GMAT (including today) and I wanted to take one more practice exam tomorrow...I purchased the Kaplan CATs so my choice is either the Kaplan CAT 5 or the GMAT 2 exam (off the official site).

Does anyone have an opinion on which one is most like the exam or worth taking? I really want to crack the 700 mark, and only have 1 shot before the bus. school apps in January. But I took the first 4 Kaplan CATs over the past 2 weeks and my score kept declining until Kaplan CAT4!

(690 --> 680 --> 670-->780).

This makes me wonder how accurate the tests really are and if the 780 was a random fluke!

Any feedback by tomorrow would be greatly appreciated!!

ok girish.,

First - register on the princetonreview site and login with ur new id.

second- get the book from library and locate the serial number on the last page or some other place on the book.

third - go to this site - The Princeton Review

fourth - enter the serial number and click start, it should take u to a page where u can take tests...

hope this helps...

newyorkgirl - you are doing really well for urself... if kaplan gets u 680 something, u should end up with 750+ in real gmat for sure...

Appreciate the response. Thanks st, Will surely do the same.

Also an update , I gave the GMAT Prep 1 exam again , I must admit , there were a few questions repeated. But unlike last time i managed to finish the exam this time gor 760 Q50,V42, the mistakes in Quant were all in the Data Sufficiency part and I then picked up the OG Quant Review book to work on that.

Any strategy you could suggest around that.

Also material wise , any study material you suggest.

I need to build some courage to schedule a date, have not done that as yet, not too sure if i am ready as yet.

Thanks.

-Regards,

Girish Malik