Urch Forums

2022 Sweat Thread

Erin

On 3/9/2022 at 6:51 AM, SCCPKA said:

Pls, anyone knows about UC Irvine and UC Riverside process? I saw at GC they sent some offers, but no idea if they also sent msgs to the waitlisted ones. Radio silence at UC Davis so far, right?

Hello! I just got my waitlist notice from UC Irvine about 3 hours ago... have you heard back from them since as well? 

54 minutes ago, tlop543 said:

Is there a place to go to for advice on picking a school? EMJR not always super welcome to such discussion and has a lot of trolling 

I think that speaking with your recommendation letter writers is prolly the best way to get advice in choosing between schools.

Edited by quantitypham
  • Like 1

It's a bit of a long shot to ask here but does anyone happen to have info on admit/WL/yield numbers for top schools this cycle? All I know is Stanford yield (supposedly) up and some were cut from WL early, and NU/Chicago seem to have pretty long WLs. How about Princeton, Yale?

Can anyone help me? I want to apply for economics master degree for the fall 2023 but I do not know which universities offer tuition waiver and funding. It is appreciated if you share the list of this universities which are in Canada and USA.

Thank you

13 hours ago, VeganEconomist said:

Strong opinions, lol. Can I ask why?

I know A LOT of people that have finished the program there and they all say it's horrible. Apparently they don't have enough money to fund students or something so there is always uncertainty regarding that. Resources for your research are also scarce and faculty don't seem to care for their students. Of course I don't know first hand, but that's what I have heard from many people. I would stay away. 

3 minutes ago, jk_econ said:

I know A LOT of people that have finished the program there and they all say it's horrible. Apparently they don't have enough money to fund students or something so there is always uncertainty regarding that. Resources for your research are also scarce and faculty don't seem to care for their students. Of course I don't know first hand, but that's what I have heard from many people. I would stay away. 

Got an offer from Penn this season and have been talking recently with PhD students there. They raised some issues related to advising and how the program is managed, which translate into somewhat disappointing placements (yet some students consider that things are getting better with the arrival of a new Director of Graduate Studies). But something that has definitely improved at Penn is funding (which was indeed a big problem of the program in past years). As far as I know, this year Penn offered a very competitive stipend covering 5 years of PhD training for all admitted applicants. 

2 minutes ago, seabrother123 said:

Do all UVA waitlists receive an invitation to their virtual open house?

No i didnt.. Did you? I contacted the graduate admissions director and asked few things - including their plans for visit days - but didn't get an explicit answer.

15 hours ago, rsgbz21 said:

Got an offer from Penn this season and have been talking recently with PhD students there. They raised some issues related to advising and how the program is managed, which translate into somewhat disappointing placements (yet some students consider that things are getting better with the arrival of a new Director of Graduate Studies). But something that has definitely improved at Penn is funding (which was indeed a big problem of the program in past years). As far as I know, this year Penn offered a very competitive stipend covering 5 years of PhD training for all admitted applicants. 

I hope it's getting better, because I've heard people on the verge of suicide bc of attending that institution. Sad, but it's the truth. 

• Sad 1

• Erin unpinned this topic