Urch Forums

2022 Sweat Thread

Erin

17 minutes ago, econwag said:

Anyone has any information on the waiting list of UCSD? 

They said in one of the visiting day events that if you don’t get an email over the weekend stating that:

a) you got an offer, or 

b) you are being considered in the “next-in-line” batch of the waiting list,

then you are probably not getting in. However, you should still send an email if you don’t receive anything by the end or the weekend. 

A lot of schools I never heard back from have sent offers this week to me -- I think a lot of the implicit rejection concerns I had turned out to be implicit waitlists instead. I already committed to a school so I'll be turning them down but I wanted to post here in case people next year reading through the thread were concerned whether they were implicitly rejected or not

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CornellEnglishMajor said:

A lot of schools I never heard back from have sent offers this week to me -- I think a lot of the implicit rejection concerns I had turned out to be implicit waitlists instead. I already committed to a school so I'll be turning them down but I wanted to post here in case people next year reading through the thread were concerned whether they were implicitly rejected or not

Congrats! If you don't mind, where did you commit?

Got accepted off the Minnesota waitlist about 4 weeks ago and declined the offer a few days ago. So don't lose hope!

21 minutes ago, Hyperplane said:

I am also waitlisted but not very optimistic about being accepted off the waitlist because they announced long waitlist.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, constrd said:

Hello, I wondered if there's anyone who hasn't heard from UCSD at all like me. I wrote to them several times to ask about my status, but didn't get any reply. It's pretty weird why they even don't want to give me a rejection.

I emailed them cos I didn’t hear anything either, and their exact words were: « Thank you for reaching out. We are fortunate to receive many qualified candidates, which makes our process extremely competitive. At this point in our process, the likelihood of an offer is low. We have communicated to all our candidates who have either been accepted for admission or are on our waitlist. Our candidates have a deadline of April 15th to accept or decline our offer. After this date, we will have more information on how we will proceed forward. »

I guess that’s like a gentle way of rejecting me? I haven’t heard anything from NYU either which tbh doesn’t make sense especially if they plan on rejecting me. Like the least they can do is send a rejection. 

For future applicants: I heard nothing from UCSD by dinner time on Sunday (April 10th), and then I sent the inquiry email to the director. I was shocked that I am still ranked high, (imagine 1st / 2nd), on the current wl. I think the chance is going to be low anyways, because it might indicate that some waitlisted candidates were already admitted.  

4 hours ago, Econenthuse said:

I emailed them cos I didn’t hear anything either, and their exact words were: « Thank you for reaching out. We are fortunate to receive many qualified candidates, which makes our process extremely competitive. At this point in our process, the likelihood of an offer is low. We have communicated to all our candidates who have either been accepted for admission or are on our waitlist. Our candidates have a deadline of April 15th to accept or decline our offer. After this date, we will have more information on how we will proceed forward. »

I guess that’s like a gentle way of rejecting me? I haven’t heard anything from NYU either which tbh doesn’t make sense especially if they plan on rejecting me. Like the least they can do is send a rejection. 

Thanks for your information.

4 hours ago, kot88 said:

At visiting day, they claimed there is no waitlist for MRes+PhD in Econ, although I cannot be sure... Better email them.

I was rejected by them a month ago, but today they sent me an unfunded offer and told me I am on the waiting list for funding.

Now I am trying to figure out how long this unexpected waiting list is. 

34 minutes ago, Major Tom said:

I was rejected by them a month ago, but today they sent me an unfunded offer and told me I am on the waiting list for funding.

Now I am trying to figure out how long this unexpected waiting list is. 

funny given that their email said (at least for me) "The decision of the Graduate School, however, is final. We are not able to enter into further correspondence about the decision."

Did they reach out by email?

1 hour ago, AA.ron said:

funny given that their email said (at least for me) "The decision of the Graduate School, however, is final. We are not able to enter into further correspondence about the decision."

Did they reach out by email?

Yeah, I know! I got the same e-mail from them.

But today, they sent me the following e-mail:

"As we approach the acceptance deadline for our MREs/PhD Economics programme we may be in a position to have some additional funded offers.

We are therefore admitting a small number of students with unfunded offers to give us the flexibility of converting these to funded offers if scholarship slots become available in the run up to the deadline of April 15. We are pleased to confirm you have been selected in this group and you can find details of the offer attached – congratulations. "

22 minutes ago, proletariat said:

Off the waitlist at UCSB. My cycle is done and damn I will begin to live like a normal human from tomorrow. 

Good luck to you all who are still waiting for waitlists. All the best comrades

Congratulations 🙂Could you share when you were notified of the acceptance?

• Erin unpinned this topic