Urch Forums

210-267: My score and some reasons to kill ETS

Vaya

Hello!

Listening 26 (unbelievably hard part)

Structure 11-28 (better than I expected)

Reading 26 (disappointig score)

Overal 210-267 (I expected 220-280)

Well, my time was 9 A.M. so I got to the center at 8.30... and waited for my test until 12 A.M. She said that the data about us (me and other 2 test taker) downloads very very slow. Usually it takes about 10 min, but this morning it took about 5 hours! At about 12 A.M. appeared a girl who had a test time at 1 P.M. Her information was sent before. So I was sent home (because I was the only there from Vilnius). We tried to rescedule the test, but The Netherlands said that they don't know anything. I got home, slept for 1.5 hours and got back to the center at 4 P.M. I waited there for about 40 minutes. The woman suggested me to rescedule, but the closest date was only in the middle of November. So I decided to take the test. I guess no need to say that this costed me a lot of my nerves. I finished my test at about 19.30 P.M.

The first part was listening. Super difficult. About a half answer in the part A I guessed. It wasn't only "man say something, woman reply" it was "man - woman - man - woman". And as a rule they asked about the begining of the conversation. Terrible! Part B (long talks) was easier. One talk was a conversation between a professor and 2(!!!) students!

Structure section was quite easy. And because it was easy I thought I was doing it wrong (I thought it was a computer adaptive test, but even now I don't know if it was).

I finished reading section with 40 min remaining. I thought I did very good, because some questions were easy. I didn't carefully checked my answers, because my head was swollen (all that stuff in the morning...). Vocabularly was easy. At least I think so. I knew almost all words. Maybe in the text they had a different meaning?

Essay was easy. #112. Children should (not) start they formal education at a very early age. Something like this. I wrote quite a long essay and I believe I'll get al least 5.0. But more I think about it more I feel that the essay is off-topic. But there are no nerves left to worry about it...

That's my story. My goal is to get 250 and if I don't succed I'll kill ETS. I swear.

Renata

DEAR RENATA GOOOOD JOB(i doono how to make this stuff with smiley faces and bright colors) but Im really exided about you! MAn! U HAD such a hard day and u still managed to make it very good. Im pretty sure i'll get your 250!!!!!!!!!!Im so proud of you CONGRS!!!!!!!!!! NOW GO HAVE SOME FUN u deserve it! iki

Hi Renata :)!

[/size]CONGRATULATIONS!!![/size]

We all know that 250 is not an out-of-reached score for you, friend!

Well, my time was 9 A.M. so I got to the center at 8.30... and waited for my test until 12 A.M. She said that the data about us (me and other 2 test taker) downloads very very slow. Usually it takes about 10 min, but this morning it took about 5 hours! At about 12 A.M. appeared a girl who had a test time at 1 P.M. Her information was sent before. So I was sent home (because I was the only there from Vilnius). We tried to rescedule the test, but The Netherlands said that they don't know anything. I got home, slept for 1.5 hours and got back to the center at 4 P.M. I waited there for about 40 minutes. The woman suggested me to rescedule, but the closest date was only in the middle of November. So I decided to take the test. I guess no need to say that this costed me a lot of my nerves. I finished my test at about 19.30 P.M.

Oh.... that is sad..., I agree. Time always plays one of the most crucial role in controling our psychology :(... Sometimes there are such sucking cases in which no one can take the responsibility at the moment. And the only ones who would cry are the students...

Hey, but you're not the easy-to-give-up type, right? What you've showed us here must have proved that, friend :). In fact things are not that bad, cuz you will surely reach 250.

The first part was listening. Super difficult. About a half answer in the part A I guessed. It wasn't only "man say something, woman reply" it was "man - woman - man - woman". And as a rule they asked about the begining of the conversation. Terrible! Part B (long talks) was easier. One talk was a conversation between a professor and 2(!!!) students!

Oh so it seems that you haven't tried the Powerprep, Renata ? I think this part was almost like what is in that cd. And Part B even contains talks with 4 or 5 students! So all the tapes of Barron's or Peterson's can be thrown away cuz they've been so backward. What listening materials did you use, Renata?

Structure section was quite easy. And because it was easy I thought I was doing it wrong (I thought it was a computer adaptive test, but even now I don't know if it was).

Hehe I know you're afraid of this part most. But your language feelings told truths :D! 28 was excellent!

I finished reading section with 40 min remaining. I thought I did very good, because some questions were easy. I didn't carefully checked my answers, because my head was swollen (all that stuff in the morning...). Vocabularly was easy. At least I think so. I knew almost all words. Maybe in the text they had a different meaning?

I'm wondering why almost all of us prepare so carefully for the part but doing it with so much time remaining? Is it too sleepy? I myself even raced with the clock up to the last second! Not because I'm interested in it ([|)]), but I think if I tried my best at that time, then in the future I would have no reasons to regret, once the score is not as high as expected. There would be no moans like 'Oh... if only I had looked at those questions more carefully...'. But I think all that had happened made you tired and want to finish early, which is easy to sympathize with...

Essay was easy. #112. Children should (not) start they formal education at a very early age. Something like this. I wrote quite a long essay and I believe I'll get al least 5.0. But more I think about it more I feel that the essay is off-topic. But there are no nerves left to worry about it...

Renata, please post your essay due to your memory, or at least its main idea so that Erin can predict your score... But I'm sure you'll get >= 5.5, or I will eat my head!!!

That's my story. My goal is to get 250 and if I don't succed I'll get mad at ETS. I swear.

Renata

I would get mad, too, were I in your shoe! Saying that I wouldn't will be a lie!

But, yes, we can't change facts, and everybody needs to move on, and 'tommorow is always another day', just 'another' one, 'another'....

We will always be by your side through thick and thin!

-phuong-

PS: Sorry for this late reply, Reneta. My head still aches. Throat is sore. Mumps has come to visit me. Whatever...I'll return to the whole forum when getting better [xx(]...

Oh hey everybody!!!!!!!

I've just realized...

Anyone has changed my signature?????

My original one is

"...There can be miracles when you believe

Though hope is frail, it's hard to kill :)..."

But I swear someone has chaged it into

"...There can be miracles when you believe

Though hope is frail, it's hard to get mad at :)..."

Cuz I haven't touched my comp for days!!!

Who? Who? Who dares [}:)]? Who could? Erin do you know who :(?

I'll keep it as my real sig now, for s/he can see what s/he has done to my beautiful sig ::::(((.....

- phuong -

No, no, I just put in a filter to change "k i l l" to "get mad at." I want a peaceful, happy forum, and I don't like such strong words. I might change it later, though. I also might use a filter for the word "h a t e," another word I don't like to see.

I might change this stuff later, though. And I know your message is hopeful, don't worry.

Hello!

Thank you guys for supporting me. That's kind of you and really helps.

Posting some post today I realised that after all it is so wonderful to be finished with toefl. Somehow I am possitive that I won't have to retake it. And that feeling that you did it and that a huge problem is solved keeps my chin up. I even forgave ETS... As you said... Another day, another feelings...

Of course, I'll try to take part in this forum as often as I can. It's very helpful for my writing skills. A half of my future essay score belongs to this forum. I trully love you guys...

Best wishes, 300 to all test takers and a [:X] to Erin (on a cheek!):D

Renata

• 4 weeks later...

Hey! Today I got my final results. I got 6.0 for essay and my final score is 267... At last something good happened :)

I know that I don't participate in this forum lately. I want to say sorry, but I am a bit sick and my school is simply killing me... And on the top of that my computer refuses to open this wonderful site. In this way this site has something in common with google.com... Because my computer doesn't want to open it too. :)

Anyway, I'll try my best. And good luck for you all. Ace your tests!

Renata

Originally posted by Vaya

Hey! Today I got my final results. I got 6.0 for essay and my final score is 267... At last something good happened :)

Best wishes in the future, Renata !:D

Originally posted by Vaya

And on the top of that my computer refuses to open this wonderful site. In this way this site has something in common with google.com... Because my computer doesn't want to open it too. :)

Hm, I had the same problem, I was too frustrated ...

But now everything works fine :D