Urch Forums

2021 Sweat Thread

tm_member

I am having some major impostor syndrome feelings today. I got an offer from a top 10 (top 5-7?) department a couple of weeks ago and it was a dream come true. Their stronger fields happen to match the fields I’m interested in. However, because I have not heard back from other similarly ranked programs (today seems like IR from Princeton and Columbia), I feel like this was all a fluke. I’m feeling anxious that someone made a mistake and overestimated my profile and I’m not really fit for a top 10 school. Even though I most likely wouldn’t accept other offers over the one I already have, I still find myself craving some sort of validation. Sorry for the rant, just needed to vent a little 

I'm sure it's a real tragedy to have an acceptance to a top 10 program...

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am having some major impostor syndrome feelings today. I got an offer from a top 10 (top 5-7?) department a couple of weeks ago and it was a dream come true. Their stronger fields happen to match the fields I’m interested in. However, because I have not heard back from other similarly ranked programs (today seems like IR from Princeton and Columbia), I feel like this was all a fluke. I’m feeling anxious that someone made a mistake and overestimated my profile and I’m not really fit for a top 10 school. Even though I most likely wouldn’t accept other offers over the one I already have, I still find myself craving some sort of validation. Sorry for the rant, just needed to vent a little 

If you got an offer, it's because they think you have what it takes. Still, I feel you, it's hard to shake this anxiety... I had an interview at a top 25 program this week but I feel sure I'm not going to get an offer. I did not receive an offer from Georgetown today, which should be one of the less competitive programs I applied to.

LMAO dude. Take the top 10 (maybe top 5?) offer and run!

On UChicago Econ, I'm not sure why they haven't given either of you a response since they did post a bunch of decisions already. Perhaps you're on the "long" list after the people who are officially waitlisted, i.e. in the case that they didn't waitlist enough people, then they may offer admissions to more people.

Same boat here. Also applied to Booth, maybe that's why they are taking so long??

On Booth, I'm interviewing with the Finance PhD program this week, so I'm not sure your application to Booth is the reason.

On UChicago Econ, I'm not sure why they haven't given either of you a response since they did post a bunch of decisions already. Perhaps you're on the "long" list after the people who are officially waitlisted, i.e. in the case that they didn't waitlist enough people, then they may offer admissions to more people.

Thanks for the info!

Edit b/c I thought you said there had been admits to Booth Econ

Edited by toomuchcoffee
correction

Duke seems to have released their first round of decisions. It's my dream school and I haven't received anything, so I'm assuming ir/waitlist. Still waiting for a single acceptance!

I didn't apply to Duke, but there seem to be very few acceptances on Gradcafe (the 3 posted today, I think the earlier ones were trolls) so I wouldn't assume IR yet. Keep the faith and good luck!

Accepted by Duke (apparently in the 1st round, which makes sense given my funding package). This is an absurd outcome for me and demonstrates the randomness of the process. I have not gone on gradcafe in 5 days but, from what I can gather, I am probably on a path to being rejected like a dog from lots of schools that would ordinarily be my targets (UCSD, UCLA, Cornell, Davis). I feel this way because Duke is the only school I've heard from in the past week.

Making things more absurd is the fact that I only applied to Duke because it was suggested by a letter writer and I do not recall anything about applying to Duke, it wasn't noteworthy to me. I honestly would routinely forget that I applied there (probably says more about the number of schools that I applied to).

I'm very happy with this though! Good luck to the rest of you!

Accepted by Duke (apparently in the 1st round, which makes sense given my funding package). This is an absurd outcome for me and demonstrates the randomness of the process. I have not gone on gradcafe in 5 days but, from what I can gather, I am probably on a path to being rejected like a dog from lots of schools that would ordinarily be my targets (UCSD, UCLA, Cornell, Davis). Making things more absurd is the fact that I only applied to Duke because it was suggested by a letter writer.

Your letter writer might have personal contacts in adcom to push your application. Congratulations!

Accepted by Duke (apparently in the 1st round, which makes sense given my funding package). This is an absurd outcome for me and demonstrates the randomness of the process. I have not gone on gradcafe in 5 days but, from what I can gather, I am probably on a path to being rejected like a dog from lots of schools that would ordinarily be my targets (UCSD, UCLA, Cornell, Davis). I feel this way because Duke is the only school I've heard from in the past week.

Making things more absurd is the fact that I only applied to Duke because it was suggested by a letter writer and I do not recall anything about applying to Duke, it wasn't noteworthy to me. I honestly would routinely forget that I applied there (probably says more about the number of schools that I applied to).

I'm very happy with this though! Good luck to the rest of you!

Congratulations!! What makes you think it's the 1st round?

• Erin featured this topic
  • Erin unpinned this topic