Urch Forums

2018 Application Sweat Thread

tm_member

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the UDSD posting on GC true? Can anyone confirm it? It seems trolling though :(

My UCSD application still says "Under Review".

Also, that there's only one posting says to me that even if it is real it's probably idiosyncratic and most acceptances have not yet been sent out.

Hi guys I'm the person from GC for UCSD, I just saw they deleted the followup posts on there about it so I made an acc to post here. Btw I need to say I've rewritten this 3 times bc the forum keeps forbidding me to post it haha. Anyway, I am also very surprised that it is so early! I really wish someone else could also confirm so that I don't feel like this is a practical joke. But yes, I got an email from gradadmissions at midnight california time (not from econ dept.. I don't know if this is standard?) and there is no word on funding but I suspect it is still too early for that, I may call them later to ask if they don't send a followup email soon. And on my application it says Provisionally Admitted to PhD Econ with a signed pdf admission letter downloadable as well. Anyway, good luck to everyone and clearly they are doing it in batches so no worries!

Thank you!! It's very relieving :) It's been difficult to forecast my admissions chances without feeling that I am being overoptimistic (difficult math course load and good letters from solid undergrad school vs. slightly lower-end gpa) so it's a welcome surprise. I applied broadly to top 15 so hopefully more good things to follow but UCSD is a great option.

Hi guys I'm the person from GC for UCSD, I just saw they deleted the followup posts on there about it so I made an acc to post here. Btw I need to say I've rewritten this 3 times bc the forum keeps forbidding me to post it haha. Anyway, I am also very surprised that it is so early! I really wish someone else could also confirm so that I don't feel like this is a practical joke. But yes, I got an email from gradadmissions at midnight california time (not from econ dept.. I don't know if this is standard?) and there is no word on funding but I suspect it is still too early for that, I may call them later to ask if they don't send a followup email soon. And on my application it says Provisionally Admitted to PhD Econ with a signed pdf admission letter downloadable as well. Anyway, good luck to everyone and clearly they are doing it in batches so no worries!

Congratulations!

Anyone heard from Purdue Agricultural economics? I remember their deadline is Feb 15th but got an email to check website - rejected. I'm the one posted in gradcafe. I'm really not sure why I was denied this early, even before the application deadline.

Perhaps a preliminary removal of applicants based on the GRE, GPA, undergrad institution or unfamiliarity of letter writers. Could be a clerical error. Who knows.

"Unfamiliarity of letter writers" - is this a big issue? Because most international applicants would have referees who may not be well-known ...

It says:

Hi, my name is Jon Robinson and I'm the Ph.D. director at the UC Santa Cruz department of economics. The Ph.D. admissions committee read over your file and was very impressed with your credentials. As part of our admissions screening, we conduct Skype video interviews with all admitted students, and we would like to conduct a 25 minute interview with you. The interview would be for us to learn a bit more about you, and also to answer questions you might have.

Don't feel bad! I don't think getting an interview is a necessary condition for admissions. Just wait and see, since if the schedule on grad cafe is similar to last year, UCSC should send out info within the next 2 weeks.

Thanks Bro.

It says:

Hi, my name is Jon Robinson and I'm the Ph.D. director at the UC Santa Cruz department of economics. The Ph.D. admissions committee read over your file and was very impressed with your credentials. As part of our admissions screening, we conduct Skype video interviews with all admitted students, and we would like to conduct a 25 minute interview with you. The interview would be for us to learn a bit more about you, and also to answer questions you might have.

Don't feel bad! I don't think getting an interview is a necessary condition for admissions. Just wait and see, since if the schedule on grad cafe is similar to last year, UCSC should send out info within the next 2 weeks.