Urch Forums

2021 Sweat Thread

tm_member

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Checking on Twitter, I noticed there are people who have already been accepted to Berkeley today. Can anyone confirm if the results are already out or if there are going to be more than one round of responses?

Aren't these agricultural econ?

I asked a similar question earlier (here: https://www.www.urch.com/forums/phd-economics/162094-2021-sweat-thread-post1027222.html#post1027222) but only got a reply from someone who said they posted about ARE. I also saw a post on Twitter from someone who said they got into Berkeley econ, so unless they mixed up the programs or just weren't specific, it seems that Berkeley econ as sent out at least 1 acceptance.

Last year there were two waves of acceptances, so those of us who haven't heard aren't out of luck just yet!

I asked a similar question earlier (here: https://www.www.urch.com/forums/phd-economics/162094-2021-sweat-thread-post1027222.html#post1027222) but only got a reply from someone who said they posted about ARE. I also saw a post on Twitter from someone who said they got into Berkeley econ, so unless they mixed up the programs or just weren't specific, it seems that Berkeley econ as sent out at least 1 acceptance.

Last year there were two waves of acceptances, so those of us who haven't heard aren't out of luck just yet!

Thanks for the quick response and apologies for not reading your previous question.

Does Stanford GSB Econ & Policy interview people? I thought in past years they did not conduct interviews.

I'm one of the people who received an interview. It was an interview with "Program Staff", meaning non-faculty administration. It appeared that it was something like a "behavioral" interview to get a sense of who you are socially. It was not like the HBS interview (or most other interviews), which included faculty. I wasn't told whether or not there would be a follow-up interview.

So at this point in time, do no emails/calls from UChicago and MIT mean IRs?

From my look at last year's grad cafe posts, this seems to be the case unfortunately. Chicago called accepted and emailed waitlisted candidates on 2/10 last year but then on 2/11 there were a bunch of rejections posted. MIT was 2/14 for acceptances/waitlist via email then rejections on 2/25. So the dates are different this year, but I imagine the structure is the same. Given that information, I'm certainly treating no contact from MIT as an implicit rejection with something formal coming eventually.

Edited to add that Chicago hasn't sent out waitlists yet, as econliker pointed out.

Do we think that not hearing from UC Berkeley ARE is also an implicit rejection at this point? Seems like historically there are not many UCB ARE acceptance posts on GC so it's hard to tell. Last year they seemed to accept everyone in one round, but in 2019 there were two rounds.

Any schools people are looking to release results tomorrow? Based off last few years I'm thinking both U of Minnesota and UC Irvine might send out some offers.

I’m waiting on UC Irvine, which I expect either this week or early next week unless they’re delayed by COVID.

I saw a few more acceptances come through for UMich, do we think that’s it? Seems like there should be more to come but I’m not sure if they’re shrinking their cohort.

I'm hoping for Minnesota tomorrow. Not sure if I'll get in, but it should be my first decision :)

Super nervous for this one. I'm aiming for a lower range of schools than a lot of people on this forum so Minnesota is one of my reach schools, not too hopeful but it would an amazing offer to get.

I’m waiting on UC Irvine, which I expect either this week or early next week unless they’re delayed by COVID.

I saw a few more acceptances come through for UMich, do we think that’s it? Seems like there should be more to come but I’m not sure if they’re shrinking their cohort.

Last year they sent out around 22 acceptance and this year it's just been 7 till now. I am really hoping to see more from UMich

I have applied to caltech too but have heard nothing either. The gradcafe post seems legit, and there was another one yesterday under the header "Social sciences". I guess they send out admission yesterday? Does anyone know if they usually accept more people in second rounds, or put people on waiting list?

• Erin featured this topic
  • Erin unpinned this topic